top of page
Couple on Laptop

To start the application for your marriage, you must lodge the Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) no later than one (1) month before your wedding date.

Follow these steps to lodge the NOIM.

Step 1.   Download the NOIM for your Marriage Application from this link or I will send it to you in an email. 

Step 2.   Complete the form online then print the NOIM.

Step 3.  Have a Doctor (GP), Lawyer, Justice of the Peace or Police Officer witness you signing the NOIM.

Step 4.  Email the witnessed and signed NOIM to

Step 5.  Email scans or photos of your Passport or original Birth Certificate and Driver's Licence. 

Step 6.  If you have been married previously, email documents showing when and how the marriage ended (i.e. divorce, annulment or death).


The date the witnessed and signed NOIM, and your documentation is received is the date that the NOIM will be lodged and the one (1) month waiting period begins. 


Frequently Asked Questions

Signing the NOIM

  • Both parties are required to sign the NOIM.

  • If one person is not able to sign the NOIM, the other person can sign and lodge the NOIM on their behalf.

Who can witness the NOIM?

  • The NOIM can be witnessed by either a Doctor (GP not a Chemist or Pharmacist), Lawyer, Justice of the Peace, Police Officer, or Authorised Marriage Celebrant.

  • I can witness the signing of your NOIM either in person or by video call.

  • If you are living overseas the NOIM must be witnessed by a Public Notary in your country.

Who can marry in Australia?

  • Anyone over the age of 18 can marry in Australia, irrespective of their nationality or their partner's nationality. Couples are not required to be Australian Citizens or have Permanent Residency in order to legally marry in Australia.

What identification is needed?

  • To lodge the NOIM you are required to provide proof of your place of birth and identity. An Australia or Overseas Passport will do both of these. Alternatively an original Birth Certificate and Driver's Licence can be used. 

  • If you have been married before, you must provide documents that show how and when your marriage ended, for example divorce, annulment, or death of a partner. 

How soon can we be married?

  • There is a one month waiting period from the date you lodge the NOIM. 

bottom of page